Monday, June 1, 2009

5 Short Years

Today is our 5th anniversary! I know many of you are thinking "how could she deal with that loud man?" or "how does he handle her foghorn nose?" Well, apparently love isn't only blind but deaf as well.
Honestly, I am one lucky gal. Since we were in Minnesota helping with the new baby I thought that this anniversary would float by with a kiss and maybe take out on our drive home. Little did i know that my fabulous husband had a much more elaborate plan in the works.
Saturday John and Jamie were kind enough to watch GMan while we went on a date. (Apparently I am oblivious because it didn't even cross my mind that it could be an anniversary date!) While we were driving to downtown Minneapolis The Man asked me what I wanted to do. I told him I wanted to have a massage. He looked at me with that smirk on his face and said okay. I of course thought he was just trying to throw me off track. Boy was I suprised when we pulled into a parking lot and walked into a masseuse! The Man had already scheduled us to get massages and apparently our brains were in sink (or maybe it was our sore backs). Afterward when I was completely relaxed and felt a little like jelly the Man asked what I wanted to do next. I told him I wanted to take a nap. He asked if I was serious. I said I would love a nap but we needed to finish our date. Again I got a surprise when we pulled in front of the downtown Minneapolis Marriott. The Man had arranged to have John and Jamie watch Gman for a full day, not just for the afternoon! Good thing we had been there for a full week and they had seen his routine. What a day we had. We checked out a sculpture garden, ate at a Mediterranean restaurant and saw Angels and Demons. (Note for those of you who have read the book and haven't seen the movie. The movie is loosely based on the book. Lots of important parts of the book are changed to fit into the movie so don't be upset just know in advance it's not the same.) The next morning we slept in, had breakfast and went back to see my baby. The whole day was AWESOME!!! I told The Man we were taking a night away every year.
I think one of the greatest parts of the day was the necklace that The Man gave me. Apparently the 5 Anniversary is the wooden anniversary. (Who knows that? Not me) So what did my guy do? He bought me this beautiful sterling silver necklace with pieces of wood inlaid from Tiffany's. Yes ladies, I have a gift that came from a little blue box and that little blue box will never get thrown away. What a perfect day. Thanks John and Jamie for giving us a night away!

Note to The Man - Thanks for being the best husband I could ask for. For always finding me sexy in sweats, for making me laugh when I would normally be embarrassed and for telling me whenever I have boogers in my nose or food in my teeth so people won't laugh. The last five years have brought me more happiness than I thought possible. Bring on the next five!

Us in front of the famous "Cherry in a Spoon" statue. Apparently Minneapolis is known for this statue, it's kinda cool.

9 comments:

Katie said...

What a great day! Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple; we're glad to be able to call you friends!

hotlavahead said...

Isn't it funny how cool that little blue box is?! John got me a necklace from tiffany's six years ago and I still have the box!

Thanks again, you are the one that should be geting a cape!

Douglas Family said...

I wanted to text you to send wishes, but realized I didn't put your new cell numbers in the phone. Anyway, glad you day was great. I am still waiting for my Tiffany's box, but better to wait until the day when we aren't broke!

Jennie said...

how sweet. What a great way to celebrate.

Shannon said...

Wow! Has it really been 5 years?! On the other hand, has it only been 5 years?! Time sure is funny sometimes. Glad you had such a good anniversary- and may you have many more!

{becca alder} said...

woo hoo! way to go matt! ahhhh that little blue box, it just makes a girl's heart go pitter patter ;) happy anniversary!

Amber Howard said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Way to go Matt!! You should give Ryan some pointers. haha

And Tiffanys??? I love those little blue boxes. I painted my spare bathroom to look like a tiffany box and I have a porcelein tiffanys box in there to match. Love love love it!

John said...

Thanks for coming to help us!!! We'll watch baby Cage anytime you need a break.

Papa Parrish said...

I'm so gald you got a fun anniversary. Compliments to you on your years together, and hail to J and J for watching GMan, and to you for watching the boys. Nana