Wednesday, September 30, 2009

We Made It!!!

For those of you who were worried, we made it! We have officially purchased our home, had our stuff delivered and I am down to a handful of boxes to unpack. Rock on! Other than unpacking, my last week has been filled with removing wall paper and painting. I want to hop on my soapbox for a minute and just say that if the maker of wallpaper is still alive he should be shot, because wallpaper is the devil. The people we bought our house from had a wallpaper border on Gman's room. When I went to remove it I discovered that there was an old border there that they simply painted over and glued new wallpaper on top of. Argh! It's okay, 2 days and no finger nails left the room is paper free and repainted.
Gman is adjusting to our new life. He is loving how much space he has to run around. The first couple of days he kept getting lost so he wouldn't venture too far from my side. Now he owns the place and we generally don't mind. He cna't get enough of our empty boxes and pushes them throughout the house. He will be a very sad man when the movers come to pick them up. I guess I will just have to buy him a laundry basket.

Our ward here is amazing. We couldn't have asked for a better welcome. The last two Sundays we have been fed and this Sunday is already booked. A way awesome lady in the ward who lives in my neighborhood also came by the day the movers were here and just took Gman for me so I could get some unpacking done. I had only met her once so I was shocked and grateful for her willingness. I am trying to make new friends. First, I guess I am simply trying to remember names. We had enrichment (but really simply a Relief Society meeting) the first week I was here so I was really able to meet some cute ladies. Then a few of us went out for frozen yogurt afterward and I got to know them better. It was a huge blessing to have that opportunity right away.
For the most part things have been fantastic, let's pray they keep going that way!
Now, I want to do a little backtracking a post some pictures of our last days in Illinois
Our trip to Chicago included a stop and the infamous bean. It is a chrome bean and you can see a reflection of the entire Chicago skyline. Pretty cool.
This is a picture of the entire bean. The other side is the side that you can get a picture of the skyline. It was a little crowded and I've already seen it. Sorry
After the bean, Gman decided to chase the birds around the park. These birds are like the birds at Disneyland, no fear and they just want food.

After the park we took a little walk down Michigan Ave to the delicious retaurant we all know and love, Gino's East. ps - they have a sausage pizza where the sausage is really a big disc of meat placed right in the pizza. Tha'ts right, there is one piece of sausage the size of the pizza. Crazy, crazy good!
Us leaving Ginos'. For those of you who know your famous British golfers, this photo was taken by Sir Nick Faldo. That's right, he was in town for a tournament, came to eat pizza for lunch, and The Man got him to take our picture. It was classic. We didn't want a picture with him, we just wanted him to take one of us. Aren't we the classy Americans? :)

Chicago we will miss you, your culture, your food and our friends. Hopefully we will be able to reunite again one day but in the mean time you know we are making our new state one rockin place to be!

5 comments:

lindsay said...

We miss you! But I'm so glad things are going so well for you. I hope the good times continue!

Darcy & Nathan Parrish said...

Holy Moly Gman looks just like your hubby its crazy! Can't wait to see you guys, it'll be the best Christmas/Matt's Birthday Party ever!

Katie said...

I am glad things have gone well so far! Your new ward and neighborhood are lucky to have you!

Papa Parrish said...

Chicago will always be a favorite of mine..walks with Gage, seeing the bunnies and geese. Your best blessing of Chicago is the safe delivery of GMan and mom!!! Thank goodness for modern medicine. Nana

Celeste Christensen said...

We miss you too. I am glad that you made it safely and that your journey will continue happily!