Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Tradition

As a little family we haven't adopted too many Christmas traditions yet. This is the first year that we haven't spent Christmas at someone else's house since we got married. The one thing that I have religiously made over the last several years (since I learned how to make them) are these awesome gingerbread houses. They take ages to bake and to decorate but I love them. I think the reason that I go through all of the effort is because they have stained glass windows and the house has a light inside that actually lights up. Maybe it's the engineer in me, who knows.

Pieces out of the oven.
They don't look like much yet but they transform....

Into this! These are the houses assembled.

I made four this year,

not sure I will ever make that many again. hmmmm...

This is the last house I decorated.

I ran out of frosting so there was no winter wonderland on the ground.

But this gives the general idea.

Now, with my house plugged in, the room smells like gingerbread. Yum!!!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

What a dedicated person you are! I have never made a real gingerbread house and I can honestly say that I never see myself doing it, either!. We've done them a time or two at church with graham crackers, but that's it. Enjoy the yummy smells and hope they taste good if and when you eat them. I know several people that would help with the candy part, at least. Call if we can help! Merry Christmas!

Papa Parrish said...

It is awesome to see your creation! I admire the effort of 4! NanaP