Thursday, August 30, 2012

We're Broken

Well,
not all of us
just GMan.
He fell down
at a day camp,
on his birthday.
When I went to pick him up
he told me he had fallen,
on his chest,
on a little box,
and that he cried really hard for a long time.
Sad!
I asked him how he was doing
and he said it was better but still hurt.
I checked him over,
there were no bruises,
no bumps
and he would even let me touch it.
To me that means he's fine.
Well,
over the next week he would wake up at night 
complaining of pain.
Cue more Motrin and back to bed.
(ps - he also would only sleep on his back,
he is a side sleeper,
and he couldn't sit up from laying down without support).
7 days after falling
he went for a bike ride with dad.
Where he proceeded to fall,
off his bike,
and hit his chest and head.
Perfect.
A couple nights later he not only woke up
but he was screaming.
His screaming was so violent it hurt his chest
so he wouldn't breathe
(because that also now caused pain).
I thought FINE,
first thing tomorrow we will go to the doctor.
We went,
I explained to the doctor what happened,
even he said he wasn't worried about a break
because the pain was right at the top middle of his sternum
and sternums don't break,
generally ribs break.
Just to be certain we got an x-ray.
The verdict came in,
his sternum had fractured right down the middle.
WHAT?!!?!?
So after talking to a cardio thoracic surgeon
(scary!)
we learned that this break was extremely rare,
like almost impossible to do rare,
but our G had managed it.
For now there is nothing they will do.
We keep it wrapped up in an ace bandage
and keep the motrin coming to control the pain.
He is supposed to "take it easy" 
for TWO months to let it heal.
I laughed and reminded him he was talking about a 4 year old.
I am hoping it is healed by the time he turns 5.
As long as he doesn't fall right on it again
we should be fine.
If he does fall again
we are to report to the doctor
IMMEDIATELY!
Apparently he can now do serious damage 
that can require surgery with wires and rods.
Fun times.
It's been 2 1/2 weeks
and already he is doing better.
He complains a lot less
and sleeps a lot more
but that could be because the doctor told us
that he needed twice the motrin we were giving him. 
Oops :)

Here's the wrap
Doesn't look like much
but really helps a lot.
Most people think it's a toy or dress up for him.
The look on their face when he says
"No, I need it cause I broke my bones"
is pretty classic.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Goodness! We alsready knew Gman was one of a kind; he really didn't need to do this to prove it! Poor little guy.