Friday, February 25, 2011

She's Here!

Yup, I am a week late in sharing this news but Baby L is here! She actually arrived on February 18th instead of the 19th like we had planned. At 10 pm on the 17th I actually started having contractions. By 2:30 they were pretty darn painful and 5 minutes apart so I gave the doc a call. Naturally I was told to go to the hospital so off we went. By 4:30 they were down to 3 or 4 minutes apart and even more painful but when they checked me I was only dilated to a 1. Yup, all that pain and no glory. With the intensity getting stronger and by body not cooperating the doctor was afraid that I would rupture my uterus where my scar was from last time. So, another c-section was scheduled for 6 am. I was then given some sort of miracle drug that slowed down the contractions/made them less painful (because why labor for an extra hour and half when I don't need to?) At 6:29 baby girl arrived perfect and beautiful. She weighed 6 lbs 8 oz and was 20 inches long. Her head is covered in blonde hair, which we were not expecting since her brother was bald and looked like an old man. We stayed in the hospital for two days and have been home ever since. Baby girl is doing great. She is an AWESOME eater and a pretty decent sleeper. She has already blessed mommy with a 6 hour stretch. The doctor told me not to get used to that since she will want to eat more now that she is growing. Oh well, that night I appreciated it. She is awake for several hours at a time and LOVES to chew on anything that gets near her mouth. She quickly discovered her thumb so we busted out a pacifier a little earlier than I wanted. One day I can get rid of the paci, getting rid of the thumb is a little frowned upon. :) I am also doing okay. Tired, naturally, and in pain. Never in my life have I been so grateful for pain meds. If I take it easy, every day gets a little better, but I can definitely tell when I have pushed it too hard. :) Overall we are all doing great and getting better.

This is me getting prepped for surgery. This time around was way better. I loved actually knowing what was going on and being able to remember it.
There was a lot with the surgery and several days after that were completely foreign in my mind but The Man told me I did them last time but I just don't remember.

Miss L after we were put in our recovery room

Our Kids. G ADORES his baby sister. He loves to hold her and give her hugs and kisses.
Whenever he leaves the house and comes in the door the first thing he asks is, Where is baby sister? I definitely could not have asked for a better transition from him. There has been no animosity and nothing but sweetness toward L.

For all you second time moms out there, do you feel guilty turning your oldests world upside down? For how good he has been G keeps coming up to me and telling me that he misses mommy. (Insert sound of a breaking heart and floods of guilt) He has been a champ but I know he misses how it used to be, I just better get well soon so I can get back to playing with him. Maybe then it won't be so bad....
Finally a quick shout out to my mom and dad. I don't have a picture of them (it's on another camera) but they have been the biggest life savers. Without them here G would have never made it and I would probably have put myself back in the hospital from doing too much. They have taken G out everyday to the library, the park, playgroups, on walks, to the store or pretty much anywhere he wants to go to get out of the house. It has kept sanity and peace in our house. THANK YOU mom and dad for making this week a much easier transition. I couldn't have done it without you.

6 comments:

Stefani said...

Congrats guys!!! She is so adorable and I LOVE that picture of her and Gman. And about the guilt thing: (though I'm not technically a second time mom) yes, I feel extremely frustrated when I can't 'do it all' for all my kids at the same time. But I know it's good for them. Teaches delayed gratification and patience... for all of us. :)

lindsay said...

She is beautiful! And I know about that guilt thing. It gets better. And I agree with Stefani, teaching them patience is no bad thing. Good luck and I hope you feel like yourself again soon!

Katie said...

Yay for babies! Congratulations, and I am glad you were able to be more alert and aware this time! Funny that she came early:) Luckily, G will soon forget what his old normal was and get used to the new normal. My kids hard transition time came after Grandma left, but it was only a week or so and then they were fine again. Good luck!

Jennie said...

congrats she is beautiful.

Kerri said...

This is SOO GREAT! I have been thinking of you daily! Not sure how gratified I can be calling her baby L...What's the longer version...the name privvy to those who know and love her?

(email will do...let's keep it private :))

Douglas Family said...

So happy for you. It can be hard transitioning from 1-2, but I found if you try to dedicate specific time to the first kid things go a bit better - then they feel special. For H some of that came from me, but some came from his dad, cousins, etc. I also let him help out with the baby, so he could be with me more often. I think after C came he actually saw me more (since I did daycare that year), but didn't necessarily get more mom time if you know what I mean (I was spread out over tons of kids). H is pretty easy going so it wasn't that bad of a transition.