Thursday, August 21, 2008

He's Here!

Okay, sorry to all of you out there. I know it's been awhile since I've posted and most of you have heard, but our Little Man finally arrived! It was quite the traumatic experience but who said we didn't know how to arrive with flair? Many of you want to know what happened so here's the story.
Last Monday, the 11th, I started throwing up in the middle of the night. I called the doctor who thought it was just the flu and told me to stay as hydrated as possible. I felt a little better by Wednesday morning but by that evening I was deathly ill again. Even wierder, I was getting this stabbing pain up the right side if my back. I called the doctor again Thursday morning because it hurt so bad and he told me that I could wait until 1 to go into the office or I could go into the hospital. Thank goodness for my dear friends the Nueders who took one look at me and voted that I go to the hospital.
Once in the hospital, blood was drawn and an ultrasound of my entire belly area was done. It was determined that my kidney and liver were enlarged, my livers was shooting out huge amounts of enzymes, and my platelet counts were down to 96 (they should normally be about 150). About 12:30 pm I was diagnosed with "pregnancy induced hypertension". The best part about the day was that The Man left early that morning for a conference in Ohio. It about a 6 hour drive and I told The Man that the minute the doctor thought he should come home I would call him. When I got into the hospital the doctor assured me the baby wasn't coming that day. I was sealed tight so we just had to figure out why I was in so much pain. Well, at 12:30, I put the call in for him to return and I heard lots of noise in the background so I said get in the car and call me when it's more quiet and I will fill you in on what's happening. Well bless the man's heart, 10 minutes later he walked in the door of my room!!! He'd made it to Indianapolis and turned himself around hours earlier without telling me so I wouldn't worry about him. It was so nice to have him there!
Once he was there I don't remember a whole lot for a couple of hours because I was put on some strong pain medication for my liver (which is what the shooting pains up my back were). I do know that a couple hours later I had worsened to complete Pre-eclampsia and the doctor had told The Man that they needed to induce labor to get the baby out. They started me on Petosin and I started having contractions. I will tell you that contractions are WAY better than pre-e, just for the record. I thought the contractions were a piece of cake compared to the pain I felt before. Well, within a couple of hours the Little Mans heart rate jumped up to 190, my conditions severly worsened, and I had only dialated to a 1. The doctor came in and told us that we didn't have time for the petosin to work and that the baby needed to come out. A half an hour later I was prepped for surgery, got my epidural (and yes it was everything I had hoped it would be!) and at 8:34 the Little Man was brought into the world.
I was then put on some more serious pain medications and drugs to knock me out. Right before surgery my platelets levels dropped to 34 and after they were down even more to 25. Even without the drugs I was pretty out of it. I was still sick after the baby came out and I continued to throw up. Whew, don't throw up after a c-section! I thought I was tearing my staples out, not a pretty thought. I immediately got more anti-nausea meds, with all of the other miracle drugs.
The doctor kept me pretty heavily sedated for almost the next day because my body needed to recover from the pre-e. I wasn't allowed to eat for a day and half and I wasn't allowed to nurse until I could eat. :( But, finally on Friday afternoon I got to meet my perfect little guy. We had to stay in the hospital for a couple more days and while I still wasn't entirely better, I was moving in the right direction and we were really sick of the hospital so the doctor let us go home.
Now, we are doing great. I am SLOWLY recovering and going stir crazy. I really just want to clean my house, it's too cluttered! Lucky for The Man I have been exhausted so nothing has gotten done. Mom's flight lands in a couple of hours so I know that I will continue to be taken care of and not allowed to move. :)
Thanks to all of your prayers, concern, and meals. It is nice to feel so loved! Now that things are progressing I will update more. Love you all!
Ps - Happy 1 week birthday Little Man!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds like everybody earned their pay with this one! Glad you're feeling better. I keep checking your blog and telling myself that when you're feeling semi-normal again that you'll post. Hope I'm right and that you're on the road to recovery. Try to enjoy the down time for now. Ask Nicci how relaxing it is with an 18-month-old! Rest up, have fun, and let Mom and Matt pamper you for at least a couple of days. Love ya!

Diane said...

Congratulations! What a horrible birthing experience. I am so gald you both are okay now. I'm excited to see what the little man looks like. Let me know if I can doing anything to help you.

Douglas Family said...

I am so happy that you are both doing well and that things ended up working out ok in the end. I too had pre-e, but not nearly so severe. Hopefully this will not scare you away from having other children :) Enjoy the time with a newborn and have fun with your mom! Try to slip away for a couple of hours on your own while she is there if you can. Alone time might not seem like a big deal now, but in a couple of months you will be wishing for some!
Love all three of you tons!
Sarah

Natalie Francis said...

How scary! I'm so glad you weren't alone and that The Man made it back to be with you. Having done an emergency c-section, I know that it is way easier than delivery!!! The recovery will be a little slower going but it all works out well in the end. Get some good rest and let your mom help in every way she can! Your baby is absolutely adorable. We're so glad everyone is well. Keep us posted. Love you!